its located at Ubud Palace about 2 km from Hotel Agung Resort Ubud, the performance is held every Wednesday & Friday..
The mythical creature would dance along the street to the calon arang dance. A priest would throw holy water at it.
- The dance opens with two playful monkeys teasing Barong in a peaceful environment.
- The Rangda character appears and wreaks havoc.
- She casts black magic upon male dancers, who represent Airlangga’s soldiers, and orders them to commit suicide.
- In a trance, these men stab themselves on their chest with their own kris.
- The dance ends with the final battle between Barong and Rangda, concluding with the victory of Barong over Rangda.
It refers to a good spirit, that took the form of an animal as the guardian of forest.
Banas Pati Raja is the fourth “brother” or spirit child that accompanies a child throughout their life, which is a similar concept to guardian angels. Banas Pati Raja is the spirit which animates Barong. A protector spirit, he is often represented as a lion.
The shape of lion Barong is somewhat similar to a Pekingese dog. Its origins could be from animist worship, before Hinduism appeared, when villagers still believed in the supernatural protective power of animals.